A Leading Employer
The insurance industry is one of the most far-reaching and varied industries impacting millions of people across New York State. From insurance agents and brokers, to claims investigators, underwriters, actuaries, engineers, data scientists, investment and financial managers, public relations specialists, information & technology specialists, accountants, attorneys, and medical professionals, the insurance industry employs and supports employment for hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers from all corners of the state and from all walks of life. For example:
- According to the United States Department of Commerce in 2017 the insurance industry employed over 199,000 people in New York State.
- Many of those employed in the insurance industry are women and minorities who provide a rich blend of perspectives and viewpoints to the industry.
- The insurance industry also provides numerous opportunities for young professionals to enter and advance in the workforce. Many businesses in the insurance industry are actively recruiting and also training young professionals for a career in insurance.
- Given its wide-ranging impact across the economy the insurance industry supports many other ancillary professional fields such as accounting, law, and finance making insurance one of the most economically stimulative industries in New York and beyond.
- The broad scope, rich diversity, along with a longstanding history (the insurance industry has been operating in the United States since 1752) make insurance one of the best industries to work for.
- Thank Goodness for Insurance!